Our corporate social responsibility policy is comprised of three pillars:
- Positive impact on the community
- Environmental impact
- The workplace
Positive impact on the community
As a growing business, we believe that it’s our responsibility to have a positive impact on our community by sharing in our success and by forging long lasting relationships.
We aim to do this by:
1. Supporting charities
Our charity committee meets quarterly to discuss which charities we are going to support and what activities we are going to undertake. We support our chosen charities by raising money as well as awareness. Our 2018 charities will be announced shortly. In 2017, our charities were:
NSPCC – We are supporting the NSPCC’s Schools Service via the Speak out Stay safe programme. This programme delivers safeguarding messages directly to children through assemblies and workshops for children from the age of 5 to 11.
Princes Gate Trust – a charity aiming to transform the lives of children and young people in the UK by providing grants to enable them to obtain medical treatment, therapy, equipment and surgery which can sometimes only be found abroad.
We support a network of wider charities through ad hoc activities and staff events. Over the years, these have included Headway, Age Cymru, Breast Cancer Care, Velindre and Dreams & Wishes.
2. Staff volunteer time
Each Involegal staff member is given an additional day of leave to work with a local charity. If you’re a charity based in Cardiff or London and looking for volunteers for a project, contact us to see if we can help.
We recognise that our day-to-day activities can have a negative impact on the environment in a number of ways. We are committed to minimising the potentially harmful effects of those activities wherever and whenever possible.
We aim to do this by:
- Paper/cardboard: We encourage staff to recycle as much as possible by providing several recycling bins for cardboard and paper on each floor of the office. Where paper can be reused, we encourage staff to do so and all printers are automatically set to print on both sides.
- Cartridges/toners: All printer cartridges are sent back to the supplier for re-use. Used toners are given to a local hospital for them to sell and retain the money.
- Electronic equipment: We partner with Maxitec who remove broken or redundant IT equipment. They work with young offenders who learn how to repair and rebuild the equipment, which is then donated to charity. Any equipment that cannot be re-used gets sold on for parts by Maxitec.
- Mobile phones: All disused or broken mobile phones are donated to a major charity for them to sell and retain the money.
To minimise our carbon footprint, we encourage staff to use video and telephone conferencing where possible. If staff need to travel we promote use of public transport and efficient timing of meetings to minimise the amount of travelling.
3. Energy saving initiatives
All computers, photocopiers/printers and fax machines are set up to go into power saver mode when they are not used for a period of time.
We understand that our corporate social responsibility relates to what happens inside the workplace as well as outside. The commitment and enthusiasm of our staff is vital in our success. We understand that in order for them to feel valued and appreciated we need to provide a pleasant and supportive working environment.
We try and achieve this in a variety of different ways:
- We comply with all health and safety laws providing regular DSE assessments, drinks facilities and air conditioning to ensure our staff are as comfortable as possible.
- We accommodate flexible working where possible.
- We also offer employee benefits relating to discount wills and conveyancing advice, a pension scheme and childcare vouchers.
- We have a dignity at work policy in place to ensure employees are happy in the workplace.
- We are always open to suggestions of improvements from our staff.
We are an equal opportunities employer and are therefore committed to the equality and diversity of our workforce. This means recruiting the most effective workforce based on skill and expertise, regardless of age, gender, marital status, disability, race, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic group or nationality.
We have developed two policies which ensure these guidelines are adhered to, (1) Equal Opportunities Policy and (ii) Dignity in the Workplace Policy.
Our Human Resources team ensures that these are enforced and made known to all employees.